For the fifth time, Warsaw has become the place of Europe’s most prominent women’s meeting associated with new technologies: Perspektywy Women in Tech Summit 2023. At the same time, the Summit became Europe’s largest job fair for women in the technology industry. For those who are at the beginning of their career in IT/Tech. And those who are thinking about re-industry and looking for new paths, including students.
The idea of organizing a conference came up from the Perspektywy Education Foundation in 2018. Since then, the conference has been gathering more and more, not only women but also men. It is partnered with over 100 of the largest technology companies from around the world.
A record number of participants
This year, the conference was attended by a record number of participants – 11,200 from 88 countries. The previous year, it was 8,000 participants from 84 countries. Over 500 speakers and mentors led 56 technology workshops, 32 tech talks, and 400 mentoring sessions. Importantly, as many as 4,500 students could participate in the conference free of charge thanks to the obtained grants. A year ago there were 4,000.
The leading topics of this year’s Summit were the issues of AI/LM, deep tech, cloud solutions, quantum computers, and digital ecology. As well as WEB 3.0 and NFT.
The special guests who took part in the conference include:
– Francesca Cavallo, charismatic author of the global best-seller “Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls,”
– Maria Klawe, president of Harvey Mudd College, the only university in the world that can boast an equal number of students in STEM fields,
– as well as CEOs of crucial technology companies operating in Poland, including Intel, Microsoft, Motorola Solutions, Google Cloud, GE Aerospace, Orange, NatWest, Ericsson, Dell, IGT, 3M, Standard Chartered, IQVIA, and Allegro.
In addition, in the Career Expo zone conference participants could have a job interview and find a new job. They could improve their professional qualifications, or set their careers in motion. And in the Mentoring Zone, participate in an individual mentoring session with leaders of the world of technology.
The conference was also the first large-scale climate-positive event in Poland. Just like last year, the total carbon footprint was offset by creating an eternal forest in the buffer zone of the Biebrza National Park.
Opinions of the event
During the ceremonial opening of the conference, Mark Brzezinski, US Ambassador to Poland, said:
“Women’s work in artificial intelligence is crucial to developing undistorted, inclusive technology. That’s why I love PWIT Summit! You are organizing one of Europe’s most significant conferences for women in technology.
Rafał Trzaskowski, Mayor of Warsaw and one of the special guests of the conference opening gala wrote after the Summit on Facebook:
– I am proud that, as the capital, we can partner with this event. Our capital is a woman – rebellious, ambitious, and courageous. Our capital focuses on women and is on the side of women. I appreciate your commitment and your activity for your significant contribution to the development of our city.
Dr. Bianka Siwińska, the originator of the conference and CEO of the Perspektywy Educational Foundation, emphasized:
– Which revolution was the only successful in the last 100 years? It is a women’s revolution. Women have changed and continue to change their social roles. Technologies are of great importance here. That’s why we created Summit to push our world to change.
Barbara Nowacka, social activist and Member of the Polish Parliament, host of the extraordinary Summit opening gala, wrote:
– Huge congratulations to Bianka Siwińska for preparing such a great event. Girls, the tech industry knows no gender barriers – it’s where innovation and creativity are the most important. Let your determination, passion, and perseverance lead you to achieve your goals. Let your presence in the technology industry inspire the next generation of women to follow their dreams.
On the Facebook page of Warsaw Waterworks, you can read:
“It was great to be part of this extraordinary event. Strength is a woman!
In turn, the KPMG Foundation posted the following entry:
– Incredible energy and dose of knowledge.
Finally, a quote from the Polish Space Agency:
– Every year, the event grows stronger and shows how many competencies are necessary for new technologies.
The conference’s next edition will take place on June 12-13, 2024, in Warsaw.
More information about the conference Perspektywy Women in Tech Summit 2023 is here.
About the previous edition read here.